Sunday, May 6, 2007

CNN: College student shoots roommate, kills self

Another dude shoots somebody on a college campus, kills himself. The learning from this - don't throw your roommate over the edge - is already known to any surviving college graduate. Another learning - vote republican if you don't want this ever to stop - hasn't even started to sink in.

You cannot rent a car from most places till you turn 25. You cannot get a large credit if you are too young, and the insurance really stings. Kids are immature and therefore not reliable, the truth that American capitalists have learned long time ago, and it's time for this to soak into publics minds.

If you think this is something connected with the modern age, consider that Romans did not consider a person fully adult till the age of 24, in fact discouraging alcohol consumption under that age. Diluted wine that was, and they could not even drink and drive. It you want to seem hip and think that this is an age-old misconception, NMR studies reveal that certain regions of the brain, those in fact responsible for judgment and decision making, stop forming by about the age of 25, about the last stage in the chain of brain development. So you can have a smart, caring and compassionate smooth talker who is utterly immature, as any happy parent will confirm you.

People live much longer these days, and so the premise of the second amendment - to have enough armed people to possibly form militia in case of a military coup - can still be satisfied if the gun-legal age is upped. You'll still have enough citizens able to bear arms even if the age is set at 25. That seems like a golden number, after all these years. I would also hope that those truly crazy like that Korean dude, will by that age have had enough incidents and have been diagnosed or got police records, preventing them from getting firearms anyways.

In Minnesota, "Children 13 years old and younger must be supervised when handling a firearm". That's fucking right. After 14 they can hunt on their own, given a certificate. OK, I went hunting with my dad when I was younger than that, and in fact learned a whole lot about firearm safety from those days. Then again my dad was not an abusive alcoholic. I would never imagined wandering around with a rifle on my own. Are you aware of the age in your state for children to kill without supervision?

A juvenile, that is a kid, in Minnesota can posses a hunting rifle starting age of 16, before he has a chance to legally smoke a cigarette, and can have a gun or assault rifle at 18, before she had her first bear. Hunting is a tradition, and a way for middle-aged parent to look cool in his kid's eyes, a family value. But c'mon, what's the deal with assault rifles at eighteen? You cannot buy them, but you can still inherit them. When was the last time you talked to eighteen-years old? Oh did they even unplug their earphones?

4 comments:

Amy said...

That is frightening. Really. I feel dirty for being a Republican. :)

Monkey and banana said...

That's OK so long as you have a dog. But really, is that against Republican's grain to remember themselves being teenagers?

Unknown said...

ohhhh heh heh... im done drinking my food thru a straw.... :) but theres a huge blood clot left....

7 Bates said...

I checked California laws, and they'll let an 18 year old own a gun too. I'm shocked. I, like you, think the responsibility is outside the scope of most 18 year old minds. I love the roman adulthood thing though. I didn't know that. Very cool.

And I owned guns as a kid in Texas, but I wasn't allowed to touch them without my parents supervision. That wouldn't have kept me from handling them if I wanted to, but fortunately, I was taught to fear guns and respect the law.

The problem with any gun control laws, even age restrictions, is that they don't prevent criminals from breaking the law. They'll do it anyway - they're criminals.

If a teenager wants a gun to break the law, he's not going to buy it from a gun store. No law will protect citizens from gun crimes.

Man, I sound like a Libertarian. Weird.

I don't think Republicans remember anything before their first big paycheck...or more importantly, anything before their first April 15th. Tax cutting, fundamentalist, noobs.

(I used to be one...*sigh*)