Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Mosquitoes No More

Since nobody signed up for Agloco curtailing my plans to get rich fast, I'll blog about mosquitoes. Mosquito is considered Minnesota state bird, vastly populating and fiercely owning the land of ten thousand lakes and counting. There are in fact fifty species of the thing. This has a positive effect of people camping out ridiculously early, but otherwise is quite a nuisance.

Well the good news there are no more mosquitoes in Twin Cities. Maybe we just ran out of them. Or more realistically they got poisoned out after all. We won, they lost. My guess is that poison efforts were ramped up after the West Nile Virus kicked in a few years ago. Either way, there were barely any bugs last year. This spring had early signs of being quite buggy but now they are all gone. While there often wild oscillations in bug populations, this seems quite extreme. So the guess is they got kicked out.

And the most entertaining thing? Nobody noticed. Most people will have to think if you point this out. Little annoying things get noticed only when they are there and doing their business. There's a life lesson in this. Now I know why some people act like they do and just will never stop.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I know where your mosquitos have gone: South. To Kansas. Thanks so much.

Seriously, they're here. What did you do to get rid of them??

Berkeley G. said...

Sorry, I didn't sign up for the Algoco thing because I won't have a bank card anytime soon. Otherwise I would have.

I find the mosquito thing so interesting because they are everywhere here in Alabama. I keep spray next to my chair outside when I am smoking because they just linger. But you have a good point, that most people only realize that kind of thing when they are around being bothering and that does say a lot. I hope your weekend is good! :)

Berkeley G. said...

Hey! My mono is better, thank you for asking! And yes, at least she's getting out alive, haha (my roommate, I mean)!

I am seeing the psychologist mostly because of my friend Skylar who killed himself last August--I've had a hard time with it. I think she is going to be very helpful, though, which is good.

Monkey and banana said...

Ah, damn. They must have also always planned to move south :))

You get rid of these things by poisoning their larvae or screwing with larvae development. Larvae hatch in water, so you pour some stuff into every little pool of water, or drop so called mosquito bombs. They sink to the bottom and leach some chemical that supposedly only harms these things. Then there's other stuff. Some people even have the bat houses. Some would rather live in the desert and spray pesticides. The cities have special department that goes/flies around and spreads the larva control chemicals. I don't really know if that's what changed it though.

Berkeley G. - you are really 21 and don't have a checking account?

Monkey and banana said...

Hmmm. I thought I posted my comment before the last one from Berkeley G. Time zone difference?